Sunday, April 15, 2012

Project Haiti

Recently I have been having a challenging time for a myriad of reasons. The anniversary of my mother's death, financial stress due to the economy and the usual life's challenges. There was a point where I felt really down. Not just down, but feeling like I really couldn't pull myself out of it and I couldn't find my joy. A friend of mine, the amazing Sue Jones and her organization YogaHope have taken the program to Haiti. I was really inspired by all that YogaHope is doing domestically and in Haiti that I decided to join in and do some fundraising myself. My intention was just to help others and not necessarily go to Haiti, but if I make the requirement I get to go also in July. Within the first week I raised over $800! Each time someone donates it is such a rush of pure joy. Even when its only $5 or $10 because that is all someone can afford, it feels like I won the lottery. Through this experience I have realized that no matter how bad I think things are it really isn't that bad. Seriously, I'm not living in a tent after having lost half of my family two years ago in an earthquake and now have the threat of sexual violence! The best part about this cause is that it is empowering communities to help themselves. What better gift can be given than your own empowerment? I am proud to say that I am part of Project Haiti and that I have so far raised almost $2700! It feels great and for someone who is new at fundraising I feel it is a huge accomplishment and something I am pretty good at. I have wanted to be of service for a long time and to be involved in such an inspiring program I feel blessed and lucky. What I am being given in my spirit is so much more than the money I've raised. If you are interested in helping (every little bit counts!) Go to: http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/marymackinnonboyd/marymackinnonboydsfundraisingpage

No comments:

Post a Comment